Select Page

Charged With A Probation Violation?

If you have been charged with a probation violation, you should learn about your options from a skilled criminal defense attorney. A conviction can be a huge setback, especially when you are trying to move on with your life after being convicted of another crime.

Free consultation: I am attorney Tommy Overton, and I defend people who have been charged with violating probation. Please complete this online contact form to reach the Law Offices of Thomas T. Overton in downtown Nashville, Tennessee.

What Is Probation?

Probation is offered to certain individuals who have been convicted of a crime, allowing them to remain in the community instead of going to jail — provided the conditions of probation are met. Others may be put on probation after completing a jail sentence. The offender who is put on probation is assigned a probation officer who supervises and monitors the offender to ensure that the probation conditions are met.

What Happens If Probation Is Violated?

Probation violation is a crime. When an offender has not abided by the terms of the probation agreement, he or she can be brought back to court for a probation violation hearing. If the offender is found guilty of a probation violation, the judge will consider a number of factors to determine appropriate punishment. Potential penalties include:

  • Incarceration
  • Community service
  • Fines
  • Going back to jail to complete original sentence

How Can A Lawyer Help?

As a criminal defense attorney with more than 28 years of experience, I have represented numerous individuals who have been charged with probation violations. I am often able to work with prosecutors and judges to convince them to give my clients a second chance at doing the right thing. I have learned how to work effectively with judges and prosecutors in an attempt to seek a favorable resolution to each client’s case.

Contact Me To Discuss The Details Of Your Case

If you have been charged with a probation violation, please call my law office at 615-953-8796 to schedule a consultation, or contact me online.