For most people charged with a crime in Nashville, their defense attorney can be the only person standing between them and an unjust outcome. That is why someone facing criminal charges needs to hire the best lawyer they can afford.
6 traits to look for
If this is your first time searching for a defense attorney (or if you had a bad experience with one in the past), you need to know what traits a good criminal defense lawyer has. Here are six things to look for in a criminal attorney.
- They know Tennessee’s criminal laws well and have experience in this field of law.
- They are a good communicator and listener. They explain the law and procedures you need to know about and listen to your questions carefully.
- They are a skilled negotiator. Most criminal cases settle, and your lawyer should be prepared to negotiate an agreement that reduces the punishment against you as much as possible.
- They prepare thoroughly, review the evidence carefully and develop a strategy that gives you the best chance of achieving your goals.
- They respect your privacy and keep what you tell them in strict confidence.
- They offer flexible payment plans.
These are all essential qualities in a defense attorney. If someone recommends a lawyer to you, ask if the attorney has these traits. If you are looking on your own, talk to the attorney during your consultation. Get a feel for their personality, work ethic and commitment they would bring to your case. There are no guarantees in criminal law, but an experienced, skilled attorney who communicates with their clients gives you the best chance of a fair and just result.